Monday, February 7, 2011

Letters from the past, to the Future

I was talking with one of my best friends last night and before we hung up he said, "Lisa, I have something to tell you." Wondering what he could have to say, I said, "What, what is it?" He replied, "It worked..." I thought for a minute and had NO idea what he was talking about. He continued, "I got an email the other day from you." I thought some more and was confused because I hadn't sent him an e-mail the other day. Then it hit me, the time capsule!

Okay, let's re-wind a few years. My friend Tiffany and I were on bored.com taking quizzes like how tone deaf are you and rhythm tests. It was fun but sometime during those tests we found a link to send e-mails to the future. Intrigued, we looked into it. It was this website that would send e-mails to whomever you wanted and whenever you wanted.. We were skeptical at first but tried it. I sent an email to myself for the next day and sure enough it appeared the next day. I then thought of who I should write an e-mail to. I wrote one to myself, my friend who was with me the previous day, and to my friend mentioned above.

After we talked a little bit about it, he forwarded me my message. It was written on August 27th, 2007.like 3 1/2 years ago. I categorized the e-mail in 3 different sections: The Past, The Present, and The Future. In each category I wrote about things we did, things we were doing and things I hoped we would still be doing. It was sooo much fun to read it and remember the things we had done together and the friendship we had and how things had played out over the years.

I've been thinking about how cool it was that he got the e-mail and how much of a welcome surprise it was for him and me. I thought the idea of sending an e-mail to the future was cool back then but now that I've seen it play out, I think it is even more brilliant. Imagine getting an e-mail from a friend or family member just to say they love you and what fun things you did together. Imagine getting one from yourself (which I am still awaiting) and seeing how much you've grown and where you would see yourself. I went to work today and though, how cool would it be if someone sent you an e-mail and you got it after they passed away? How cool and comforting would that be? Some might think, why not just hand write a letter or make a physical time capsule? I have done both and they are fallible. I found one that I wasn't supposed to open until 2015 but curiosity got the best of me and I opened it. I also had a time capsule I made in Young Womens and all I put in it were lame handouts from church. Haha, I think an e-mail is better because you can't go look at it. You don't have access to it. You can't put lame things in it like handouts. All you can do it put words and tell stories and write about your hopes and dreams. The only thing that would ruin this e-mail being sent is if the person you send it to changes their e-mail. I still check the one I don't use anymore like every 3 months so think I would still get it.

Anyway, I just think this is such a cool concept. I challenge you to pick someone and send them an e-mail to the future. I mean, what do you have to lose? Nothing! Oh and here’s my e-mail just in case you choose me…  lisagrr@gmail.com
Here’s the link: http://www.bored.com/emailcapsules/

No comments:

Post a Comment